Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Valentine's Day Projects

For the past couple of years I have decided that we would make our Valentine's for the kids to hand out at school because it's just one more fun craft that we can do together.  Alyssa has really enjoyed it.  Luke on the other hand...really could care less at this point.  Plus he's just not as into crafts as Alyssa is.


This year I asked Alyssa what she wanted to give her friends for Valentine's Day.  She told me all of her friends need candy hearts.  She LOVES the candy hearts so obviously everyone must love them.  I went out on Pinterest to see if there were any good ideas for candy heart Valentine's.  I found this website/blog where she put these Valentine's together for her kids with free printable.


To make them, I obviously bought candy hearts, which you can buy anywhere.  I bought little Valentine themed zip lock bags from our local Dollar Store, and printed the free printable out on some card stock.  I spent most of the time cutting out the bag toppers.  


Alyssa was so excited to help, so I got her a little scope to scoop up the candy hearts and put them in the little baggies.  We had a great little system going on!  Towards the end she was getting very creative and trying to put "boy colors" and "girl colors" into each bag.  It got interesting. 


Next, I wanted to find something fun for Luke.  He is 2 and doesn't really care so much about these things right now, but his name is Luke...so why shouldn't I do a Star Wars themed Valentine's Day card?  Duh.  I came across this article on Pinterest that had a bunch of really great ideas for kids along with free printable!  It was definitely what I was looking for.   I went for the "Yoda Best Valentine" printable at this website.  


Once again, I printed out the Valentine's on card stock, and cut them all out.  Alyssa wanted to help with these too, so she practiced her cutting skills.  She did a really great job actually!  I am a proud mommy.  Then I bought glow stick bracelets from, again, our local Dollar Store.  They came in packs of eight, so I thought that was a decent deal.  


Then I used a knife to cut little slits in the Valentine to place the "light saber" in Yoda's hand.  I also taped the glow stick onto the back to make sure it stayed in place and we didn't accidentally break it.  I didn't want them to glow before the kids got them!  


Our last project was making heart shaped cupcakes for the kids here at home.  I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was a great idea, and plus Luke loves cake!  Again...I bought my supplies at the Dollar Store.  I have to say that I hardly ever actually go to the Dollar Store, but man it was a successful trip!  I bought cupcake papers and marbles to complete this project.

We made red velvet cake, because hearts are read, right?  Alyssa helped me put the marbles in place to make each cupcake look like a heart.  She also helped eat some of the cake batter.


Then we put them in the oven and waited.  I was actually really excited to see how these would turn out.  When i pulled them out of the oven I was super impressed!  They look just like hearts!


Once they cooled, which was a long and torturous event, we did the decorating.  Of course there had to be a TON of sprinkles involved in this activity.


We had so much fun doing these projects for Valentine's Day!  I love all holidays and I think I'm passing my love for them off to my daughter.  Next up...Easter.  Alyssa is already anticipating the festivities!  I can't wait to dye eggs and do all the other fun Easter activities.  Stay tuned!  




No comments:

Post a Comment