Monday, March 14, 2016

Trunk Club Review #1 - March 2016




I follow a bunch of mom blogs for the most part.  It's nice to know that there are people that are going through the same kinds of things.  Well one of the blogs that I follow tried out a newer clothing subscription type box (kind of like Stitch Fix), that I thought sounded like a lot of fun!  It's called Trunk Club and it's put on by Nordstrom.  

Now I say it's like Stitch Fix only on crack!  Here's how it works:

1) You can sign up through my link with my stylist Lindsay, or you can just sign up on the website and see what happens for you! Just like Stitch Fix, you fill out a style profile.  It's not quite as thorough as Stitch Fix's profile, but the cool thing happens next.  That very day that I signed up, Lindsay (my stylist) actually called me!  We chatted about my style and what I am looking for for about 10 minutes.  It was really cool and very personal.  

2) Once you have talked to your stylist, they put together a trunk preview.  You go in and take a look at what is going to be sent to you.  In that process, you can choose to not have certain things sent to you, whether it's because it's not your taste, too expensive, or you already have something similar.  You let them know, and your stylist will then choose some surprise items to include in your trunk.  My trunk had 15 items in it!  15!  That's huge compared to Stitch Fix who only sends five items at a time.  

3) Then your trunk will be shipped to your house and it took about a week for it to get here from our first contact.  So that's pretty quick!  Once it gets to your house, you have 10 days to try things on and decide what you want to keep and send back.  One of the best things about Trunk Club is that shipping both ways is FREE!  They send you all the things to send it back.  


My stylist also e-mailed me styling suggestions!  It was really great to get some help in that department because I'm not the best at putting things together.  Here is just a little tidbit of how that e-mail looks:



Currently this is the step that I'm at.  My stylist, Lindsay, wanted to chat again on the phone to discuss item by item what I liked and disliked.  I'm actually super excited about this call.  I hope she then gets a better understanding of my style and what I'm looking for.  She's supposed to give me a call today, so I'm just patiently waiting.  I will update once the whole process is complete, but I wanted to share what I got in my trunk because I'm actually really excited about it all!

Before I get to sharing all the pictures, I want to say that I didn't actually take pictures of me in any of the items.  Some of them didn't fit, and some fit perfectly.  Overall I was kind of overwhelmed by how many items I received!  

This is what your trunk looks like when it gets to your house.


It is huge!  When it shipped out, i kept watching it on UPS.com and it weighed 15 lbs!

This is what the packaging looks like.  Everything is bundled up really nicely, and it's very intriguing.


So now after all this chatting here is what Lindsay sent me in my very fist Trunk Club trunk!

1. Two by Vince Camuto Seamed Back Leggings (Black) - $49.00


These were really nice quality leggings.  I'm just not a huge legging person to begin with, and I actually just bought myself a really nice pair of SPANX leggings which are amazing!  Besides all that, these were a big big on me around the waist.

2. Topshop Herringbone Chambray Shirt - $55.00

I LOVE this shirt.  I actually have a couple of chambray shirts but this one is amazing.  It's so soft and the color is perfection and actually has a very small herringbone pattern on it.  I'm still debating on whether or not I should keep this one.  It's high-low which means I could wear this with leggings too if I wanted too, but I most love it with a dark pair of skinny jeans.  


3. Halogen One-Button Stretch Suit Jacket - $128.00

I didn't specifically ask for a blazer at all, but I'm sure she was just thinking of staples.  I actually have a black blazer already and I never wear it.  I'm just not a blazer person.  Plus I have a lot of trouble finding a blazer that really fits correctly since I'm petite.  It pretty much has to be a petite blazer to begin with, otherwise I'm probably looking at alterations.  Anyway...this blazer in particular is constructed nicely, It mostly didn't fit me in the shoulders and arms.


4. Hinge 'Drea' Peep Toe Leather Sandal - $89.95

I am a sucker for a good pair of shoes.  When I saw these in my preview I was interested in trying them on because I don't have anything like this and I know this kind of shoe is pretty on trend right now.  I put them on with a pair of cropped jeans, and I am in love!  They are super comfortable which was unexpected because my feet are kind of on the wide side.  I'm definitely pondering buying these too.


5. Stem Flowy Lightweight V-Neck Tank - $40.00

My first thought about this tank top is that I don't love the color.  I've never been that big on orange/coral.  And I did tell her that I don't wear a lot of warm colors, so I was kind of shocked by some of the color choices.  This shirt overall was nice, very casual, but It was a bit too flowy at the bottom for my body type.  I appreciated her trying to appeal to my post baby body, but this was just too much.  I'm a little bit picky about the 'flow' of my shirts.  Plus, I thought $40 for this shirt was a bit expensive for my taste.


6. Caslon Zip Seam Tunic Sweater with Pockets - $50.98

This was another piece that I am excited about.  I don't own anything like this because as I stated earlier I don't really wear legging a lot, but I'm getting into it.  This sweater is perfect and pretty much reminds me of when I was a kid in the 80's.  I love the zipper detail and I LOVE that there are pockets.  How many sweaters have that?!  This is the third piece that I'm still considering.  It's a nice weight sweater too, so it would definitely keep me warm in the cold winter/falls of Wyoming.  The only thing that's holding me back from getting this sweater is that it's not very springy...so I'm not sure if I should be spending my money and on things that are kind of winter/fall style.  


7. Halogen Zip Pocket Open Jacket - $98.00

Again, this jacket surprised me for a lot of reasons.  The color for starters, then again the fact that it's a blazer type jacket. Once again, it's a very nice jacket, and it's kind of a grapefruit color with the lining and all.  I like the back detail, and the fact that there isn't a collar.  Both things I really enjoyed about this jacket...but the color is too bright for me.  I'm not that bright of a person.  I would like it better if it were in a cobalt blue even.  This coral color is just too much, and once again the shoulders and arms were just too big.


 8. Eliza J Gingham Shirt Dress - $138.00

I asked Lindsay for some dresses for Easter because why not!  I'm very picking about dresses, but I'm not afraid to spend a bit of money on the perfect dress.  I LOVE the gingham, and I would really love a gingham shirt.  I'm never sure how a dress is going to fit me so I'm usually a 4 or 6.  This dress I couldn't even get on.  the buttons unbutton down to the waist, and my hips are just too big.  I try to stay away from dresses like this.  It's like the buttons need to go down farther for people that have hips to be able to pull the dress on.  So unfortunately I was not able to properly try this one on.  Kind of a bummer because I liked the idea of it.  My guess is that the bottom portion would be too much fabric though.  


9. Eliza J Pintucked Waist Seamed Ponte Knit Fit & Flare Dress - $98.00

I was excited about this dress, even though it was again coral.  Although this one seemed a little more pink then orange.  I loved all the piping detail around the dress.  It was all very flattering.  I do think that the cap sleeve made my shoulders look kind of broad though.  I didn't much like that.  It is a nice stretchy fabric that is actually very heavy weight.  I could definitely see myself making this more casual by adding a jean jacket.  This one was close to being a contender.  We were heading in the right direction for sure!


10. Tahari Pleated Metallic Jacquard Illusion Midi Dress - $158.00

When I saw this folded up in my box, I was very intrigued.  It is beautiful for sure, and so delicate.  There are a lot of things wrong with this dress for me personally.  The first is the fact that it's a midi dress.  I'm short and I just don't feel like these dresses are very flattering on me.  I would have to wear sky high heels to feel like I have any height.  The second of all, the color.  It's about the same color as my skin tone.  I just look lost in all aspects.  I still think it's really beautiful though.  


11. rag & bone 'Base' Cotton V-Neck Tee - $85.00

This is a very nice white v-neck t-shirt but I just can't spend $85 on a t-shirt.  Not going to happen!  I have no idea what makes this worth that kind of money.  It fit nice...


12. rag & bone 'The Dre' Slim Fit Boyfriend Jeans Keiko - $225.00

I've never bought designer jeans, but I have always wanted to try them on.  The major problem with these jeans is that they are too big.  I wasn't really sure what size to give her since, I'm definitely not in my normal size yet.  I wouldn't spend this kind of money on jeans at this stage in my getting back to normal self, but if they fit really awesome...I might, and I say might consider it someday.  I can't say that with complete confidence though.  That's a pretty steep price tag for jeans.  I would have to LOVE them.  Plus, I'm not a huge fan of the distressed look.  To me they are hard to care for.


13. Splendid 'Sunfaded' Ombre Stripe Crewneck Tee - $88.00

When I first saw this I didn't think much of it.  It's another expensive t-shirt.  But when I tried it on I really liked the fit.  I'm still not willing to spend that much on a t-shirt, but if it were to go on sale for much much cheaper I would consider it for sure.  I like the blue and the ombre.  It's just a fun shirt overall, and I think it's really cool for summer.


14. Free People 'Starry Night' Tee - $68.00

I hated this shirt from the moment I saw it.  This was probably by far my least favorite thing in the whole trunk.  Totally not my style.  I didn't like the cut, I didn't like the colors, and I didn't like the distressed look.  It's again ombre but it's a sage green color.  I don't know if you can tell that from the picture, but it is.  Then the sleeves are bigger up top and get tighter towards your wrist, kind of dolman like, but not exactly. I think I hate it so much because it just looks messy and not put together.  So a big no from me.


15. New Balance '420' Sneaker - $69.95

I told Lindsay that I have been looking for a fun new sneaker to wear around town with the kids and stuff.  She sent me these.  At first sight I was excited about the colors of the shoe.  Something neutral is always nice, but it also has a touch of fun!  Sadly, these shoes are too narrow for me so I have to send them back.  Maybe she'll find me something else that's cool for next time.  


So there you have it!  That is my first Trunk Club trunk!  Overall I think Lindsay did a great job or picking things out.  Most of the items fit me correctly, and the ones that didn't were probably mostly my fault.  

Now, I have to decide what I'm going to keep and talk to Lindsay!  Then it sounds like this first time, she's going to send me another smaller box with sizes that are wrong and a few other things to maybe fix things that went wrong wit this first trunk.  I'll post some pictures of those when I get them!  

If anyone is interested in trying out Trunk Club, check it out here and give Lindsay a try.

The great thing about Trunk Club is that it's for men and women of all shapes and sizes! If Nordstrom has it they can ship it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment